Thursday, November 6, 2008

Gary Snyder

Without a response to dig out of myself, I am writing more poetry. I am very torn by the idea of leaving the bay area after I graduate to move to Red Bluff up North. I really do think change and great things come from San Francisco and the many intelligent people who dwell in and around the area. I want to be a part of that change, but at the same time I just want to go to the mountains forever and work on my Self. I admire Gary Snyder, who seems to really have the balance between the Self and the world down.

Gary Snyder,
I want to run away
into the Sierras with you,

sit still
and meditate
among the mountains.

I look at the people
of the bay, pushing
a big boulder West

for civilization.
I want to push

but not towards nothing;

there is only ocean there,
I think, and we should not
push things into it anymore.

Gary Snyder, help! I
only want to push my Self
from inside, out.

2 comments:

BriBru said...

I really like your poem. It shows not only this overused idea of the contado (showing how it extends into Red Bluff, northward) but also of Western conquest and the conflict within the need to find one's self.
The best of luck to you while searching for yourself up north.

raggamuffn said...

I like your poem too, and agree with your sentiments.

It reminds me of the struggle in Dharma Bums to want to give up the world and mediate while at the same time knowing that it would really difficult to not participate in all the activity going on and wanting to be a part of the change for the better. Ray Smith in Dharma Bums writes of the millions of Rucksak Wanderers he hopes to inspire by writing of being out in the Sierras. It may be a balance such as this that connects people through worldly means- literature- to the vast spirituality of solitude in nature.